We are looking for a Commissioning Editor to play an important role in our new book division, publishing illustrated titles in Key’s core subject areas. The Commissioning Editor will build the list in these areas by commissioning and editing best in class content, overseeing titles through the whole publishing process.
• Commissioning new books and ensuring their quality.
• Building and maintaining relationships with authors to develop titles from proposal through to profitable publication.
• Delivering and project managing new titles in line with the publishing strategy.
• Negotiation of terms with authors as appropriate.
• Expanding Key Publishing’s network of authors and organisations for the book division.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
You’ll have proven experience of taking a book from concept to finished copy, with excellent commissioning and editing skills, and sound project management. You will be collaborative and an accomplished editor with a record of successful specialist titles. You will know the market thoroughly and be adept at finding new authors and opportunities. Your commissioning experience will have been gained in a book publishing environment, ideally within Transport, Heritage and illustrated books. You will have the commercial judgment to identify and develop successful subject areas. You will also be a good communicator with the ability to build excellent relations with authors. You will have a positive approach that helps you to succeed.